Re: [tlug] introduction: just moved to Kobe, any linux activity out there ?

On 2019-12-17 20:53 +0900 (Tue), Stone Tickle wrote:

> Fascinating, I'm very curious about computing of the 60s - 90s.  I'm
> still pretty young, so I feel a longing for this era I missed out on.

I'm part of a Tokyo Retrocomputing group that you might find
interesting, then. We do monthly meetups[1] (the next one is most
likely January 18th, one week after the January TLUG Technical Meetup)
and we also have a Telegram channel for which I'll send you an invite
if you send me private email.

[1]: https://monochromeeffect.org/TRCU/

The main focus of the group to date has been late 70s and
early-to-mid-80s 8-bit microcomputers, since many of us own several of
these, but in the latter half of this year I also started doing
extensive reading on 1960s and 1970s LISP implementations.

On 2019-12-18 04:51 +0900 (Wed), J. Hart wrote:

> I think it's much more fun now.  There's lots more that can now be
> done than there used to be.

It's also much harder to understand what's going on in your computer,
and pretty much impossible to understand it completely. That's one of
the attractions of pre-'85 machines; it's reasonable for one person to
have a fairly complete understanding of _everything_ down to (and
often including) the chip level.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974