Re: [tlug] formatting HDD leaves 11.7 GB untouched

Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> [root@kosmos ~]# df -h /mnt/tmp/
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/loop0      157G   61M  149G   1% /mnt/tmp
> [root@kosmos ~]#
>
> This is a filesystem plainly on a 160GB block device, no partitions.

By default ext4 has 5% space reserved for root.  I thought that showed
as used on "df -h", but I might have remembered incorrectly.  Since
that space is not usable by non-root users it may have been counted as
"used" by the program Thomas used.

You can check the amount of reserved blocks and change it on and
existing ext4 filesystem by tune2fs.

https://ma.ttias.be/change-reserved-blocks-ext3-ext4-filesystem-linux/

--
Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com>