Re: [tlug] Getting Japanese input working

On 2019-09-12 21:12 +0900 (Thu), Brian Chandler wrote:

> I have installed Ibus: it's there, a bizarre "icone" consisting of
> two-letter language codes in the darkest possible blue on a black
> background. If I click it, it changes from EN to RU to JA. (Oh yes,
> I need Cyrillic as well) But it has no effect on keyboard input at
> all.

As well as having installed and started an Input Method Framework,
such as IBus or fctix, and at least one associated Input Method Engine
such as the ibus-anthy or fctix-anthy, the application itself must
support these and know how to communicate with them. This is usually
done by setting some environment variables before you start the
application, along the lines of:

    export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
    export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
    export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus

Exiting, say, Chrome (and making sure via pgrep that it's entirely
shut down), setting these, and then starting it again in that
environment with them set may help to debug your problem.

There's a bit (not a lot) more information on my sedoc I18N page.[1]

[1]: https://github.com/0cjs/sedoc/blob/master/linux/i18n.md

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974