[tlug] Static IP addresses (was: Dropbox Linux Client (was: File-sharing (was: Books for free)))

On 2019-06-07 15:34 +0000 (Fri), Stuart Luppescu wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-06-08 at 00:10 +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > consumer hardware and using your home Internet connection with a
> > static IP address.
>
> Is this for access from outside?

Yes.

> I used to have a home file server, and used no-ip.com to get dynamic
> DNS. Is this not available in Japan, or is there another reason why
> not to go the dynamic DNS route?

It is available in Japan (or anywhere on the Internet, for that
matter), but it makes no difference. That kind of dynamic DNS system
lets you update the IP address to which a name points when your home
link's address changes, but since I have a static IP, mine never does.
I just add host entries in my own DNS pointing to that static address
whenever I need them.

The issue here is ports. Youc an't have two different servers running
on the same IP address and port because the OS won't know to which
server to send data it receives. So if you're running a bunch of
things on one IP address, you want to make sure that for any two
programs that might have a port conflict, you can move one of them to
a different port and all its clients will continue to work (possibly
with their own configuration changes).

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974