Re: [tlug] Dropbox Linux Client (was: File-sharing (was: Books for free))

On 2019-06-07 13:48 +0100 (Fri), Darren Cook wrote:

> >> It has been Linux unfriendly for over a year (won't work on an encrypted
> >> partition, but for no good reason)....
> If you are encrypted in such a way that it still tells the dropbox
> client it is an ext4 filesystem, I think you might get away with it?

It's quite misleading to say that it doesn't run on encrypted
filesystems since that's nothing to do with it: the change is that it
now runs only on ext4 filesystems. It doesn't matter if the ext4
filesystem is encrypted at other layers, and completely unencrypted
non-ext4 filesystems will not work.

That does seem like an odd, and rather ill-advised, change, given that
ext4 is at best just holding its own in market share for the moment,
and could well see a large reduction in market share in the future.

Well, in a way it's not unwelcome since it's provided a little more
incentive to switch from Dropbox to something else for the majority of
my sync'd file storage, which is something I've been wanting to do
anyway, but have been too lazy to start in on. And the nice thing is
that the free Dropbox accounts offer enough storage that it's still
useful for things like casual file sharing and their great uploads
feature. Sync for this isn't a huge problem since you can just create
an ext4 filesystem backed by a file, mount that on ~/Dropbox and let
it sync happily.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974