Re: [tlug] Dang I hate MS.

On 2019-03-04 17:16 +0900 (Mon), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
>
>  > ...a workshop on building static and JAMStack[1] websites with
>  > Hakyll[2] and deploying them to Netlify[3]...
>
> I'll try to make it but I'll be jet-lagged from attending CERT Vendor
> Meeting on Monday in San Francisco and flying back on
> Wednesday-Thursday.  If I make it I won't have done any homework, so
> I'll be well-qualified to kibbitz and be an unbiased referee!

Given this pedogogical approach, I'd surely enjoy being a student in
one of your classes!

On 2019-03-05 17:45 +0900 (Tue), Jim Tittsler wrote:

> I've been doing this with Gatsby....

Gatsby looks pretty darn cool! It looks very tempting for my stuff,
actually, except that I'm really wanting to get back into Haskell
again and so I want at least to have a go at Hackyll to see how far I
can take it.

> ...and do enjoy how easy Netlify makes things.  I find it hard to
> believe their free tier is sustainable, but don't mind using it
> while it lasts.

I'd imagine that, if the bandwidth can be kept under control, the free
tier is actually a great benefit to them for both making
try-before-you-buy as easy as possible and so that they can get as
much feedback as possible on the various ways it is and can be used.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put some sort of bandwidth limit on
the free tier at some point, but my guess is that their main customers
are such massive bandwith consumers that the limits, if they ever find
them worthwhile to add, would be pretty high.

> In fact, I would like to suggest that a project that would benefit the
> group would be a static version of the TLUG web site deployed to
> Netlify.

Yes! An excellent idea!

>  - sucking down the content area of existing TLUG web pages

Are these not in a Git (or other) repo at the moment?

>  - converting them to MDX [2] with some disgusting Javascript after
>    not liking what Pandoc gave me

MDX is another thing that I'd never heard of that sounds very cool.
I'll be investigating this.

>  - thinking future content would be Markdown (or MDX?) pages in
>    a repository in the TLUG organization and built/deployed to
>    Netlify on push

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Are any of John Mettraux, Michael Reinsch or Zev Blut around to give
out more access to <https://github.com/tlug>?

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974