Re: [tlug] Dang I hate MS.

On 02/27/2019 04:33 PM, Jim Breen wrote:
Assuming I stay with Linux-only installations (I've been using vanilla
Ubuntu for a few years now) is there anything I should be aware of for my
next purchase? I've noticed Linux installations fiddling with the bios
lately.

Hi Jim

For me it has varied from computer to computer. I was looking at computers during the pre-christmas sales and found a Dell Insperion 14-5000 I'm quite happy with. I even found instructions on youtube that showed how to upgrade to an SD disk. I also looked at an XPS 13 that I couldn't find the right combination for installing ubuntu. I gave up without too much work though because it just wasn't quite flexible enough for me for development.

After this latest upgrade, the bios was aware of multiple OS's and lets you select priorities. I don't recall that being there before. I'm not sure if that's bad or good.

If you're just running Linux and your install goes cleanly, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Steve S