Re: [tlug] Dang I hate MS.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 15:26, steve <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> Just a heads up -- I have a nice little dell laptop dual-boot ubuntu
> 18.04 and windows 10.  I rarely even use windows but there are those
> times...

I haven't used dual-boots since the early noughties. I've just bought a
notebook (paying the MS tax), taken a deep breath, and blown it all away
with a Linux installation. So far so good. The last two have been low-end
HPs.

> Anyway, the latest windows update 'fixed' the bios so the default boot
> os was windows.  It knows about ubuntu now which I think is new.  After
> I cooled down a bit, I went into the bios and found the settings for os
> boot order and changed the boot priority so it booted ubuntu then
> windows and rebooted.  It booted me into the grub menu.  The first time
> I booted into windows from grub to see what would happen, it noted my
> previous boot to windows hadn't gone as expected and it offered to fix
> that for me.  I proceeded with a normal boot to windows and now
> everything seems to be ok again.

Assuming I stay with Linux-only installations (I've been using vanilla
Ubuntu for a few years now) is there anything I should be aware of for my
next purchase? I've noticed Linux installations fiddling with the bios
lately.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University