Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Facebook popups

> My conclusion is that FB invoked some sort of notification mechanism which led
> to FF using libnotify.

The html5 notification API is described here (from the developer's point
of view):
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Notifications_API/Using_the_Notifications_API

And that page is set up for notifications! So in Firefox it asks me if I
want to allow mdn.mozillademos.org to sent notifications, and I can
choose yes, no, or never.

That same page in Chrome says "developer.mozilla.org wants to show
notifications", which just a yes or no choice.

You can change your per-site preferences, deep in the settings, the same
way you would for cookies. See
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox  (And
yes, the Push API allows a site to send a notification even when you
don't have it open, but do have Firefox open, if you've previously given
the site permission.)

Darren