Re: [tlug] Stymied by emacs character display

Hi Stuart,

On 20/2/2019 7:47 AM, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
So, I was getting nowhere just looking at the LaTeX error message so I
found the problem line in the LaTeX source that is causing the problem.
This is what it looks like:

included in teachersâ<U+0080><U+0099> evaluations.

The whole string from the a-circumflex to <U+0099> was originally a
single apostrophe. And the weird thing is that it was just an
apostrophe in the output file, but became this string in the file
produced by the python script. I have no idea why, but I now know how
to deal with it, so I don't care anymore.

I've seen at least two versions of the apostrophe in Microsoft Word. The first is the one we all know -- looks like a small vertical line; the second is the one that you saw which Microsoft Word "auto-corrects" to make -- looks more like a small "9" and what we would put if we were hand-writing an apostrophe.

I see this almost every time I copy and paste source code from Microsoft Word. Compilers and interpreters don't accept it, but one needs to look really closely to see the difference...

Anyway, good to hear that you solved your problem!

Ray