Re: [tlug] True Gigabit ISP in Tokyo?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:05 AM Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a home Internet provider in Tokyo that provides 1 Gbps
>> speeds.
> I think I got up to 800Mbps in the beginning when I was testing, but this
> can go drastically down at times.  Can not really distinguish whether the
> fiber to my mansion or the ISP backend is the bottleneck.

Sorry to take this thread somewhere else, but I've had a terrible
network connection at my [university] workplace.  Downloading a file
from a .gov web site gave me a throughput of 0.2 MB/s...  Given the
file size, transferring the file would have taken 5 hours.

If I did the same thing at home, I'd get 8.15 MB/s.  If I then
uploaded the file to my workplace from home, I'd get 17.0 MB/s.  Total
time is less than 10 minutes.  It would have been faster if I went
home to transfer the file...  :-P

I used "mtr" at both locations and realised that two different paths
were being used.  Within the university, the traffic was being sent
through another university within Hong Kong.  So nice of the IT
department of university to omit that piece of information from its
users.  Anyway, after having put up with this for 3 years, I've come
to realise to stop trying at work.  Just do whatever file transfers I
need at home that evening...

(They did make a small improvement when I complained.  Seems they had
hardcoded a rule that forced certain traffic to take the slower path.
They removed that software-based rule, and suddenly my transfer speeds
increased.  Still not close to home speeds, though.  I *guess* they
were sending traffic through the single university for caching
reasons...)

In addition to what's already been said, I guess what I've learned is
if you're going to test transfer speeds with a particular sites, make
sure that you can get a faster speed from another location first.  It
could be a problem with that site or the path in between.

Ray