Re: [tlug] True Gigabit ISP in Tokyo?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:29:38AM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a home Internet provider in Tokyo that provides 1 Gbps
> speeds.
>
> Long story short, I signed up for Softbank's SoftBank 光 ファミリー・ギガスピード. NTT
> came by yesterday to do the installation and afterwards I tested the speed
> and found I was only getting 160Mbps, nowhere near ギガスピード (tm).
> [..]

I think you will with the offerings for private customers just get
'more near' to 1Gbit, but not hit it.

I see at tleast these factors:
- choice of carrier, I am on NTT flets, and whether there is a dedicated
  fiber to your flat or not.  For me, there is a cable to my mansion which
  all flats are sharing.
- choice of the ISP ontop, their backbones must handle the traffic.
  I have anecdotically heard about the differences here, definitely they
  offer different features, for example ipv6.
  Poor backend can then lead to different available bandwidth over the
  day.

I think I got up to 800Mbps in the beginning when I was testing, but this
can go drastically down at times.  Can not really distinguish whether the
fiber to my mansion or the ISP backend is the bottleneck.

There are probably business focused offerings with guaranteed throughput.

Chris