Re: [tlug] Japanese writing does not work

> I tried fcitx in Xfce but failed.

fcitx-mozc has been fairly straightforward, in both Mint 18 and Mint 19.

Below are the notes I took from a recent Mint 19, xfce, install.

The bit about "policykit" was the only headache, as I needed to install
Japanese language from the GUI, but it wouldn't prompt for the sudo
password. This was something I'd broken earlier in the setup, though:
I'd gone through the startup services and disabled anything I thought I
didn't need :-)

Darren

----------------------------

    apt install fcitx-mozc mozc-utils-gui mozc-server
    apt install fcitx-config-gtk

Language Settings, Input Method: choose "fcitx" at the top of that
screen (it was already selected).
Click install for Japanese.  (If it won't ask for root pw, make sure
"policykit" is set to autostart.)
Repeated for "Simplified Chinese".

Then need to logout and login. I then needed to configure, find "mozc",
add it, then move it up so it is the top entry, but just below "Keyboard
(UK)".
Then ctrl-space switches between normal and Japanese.

To get pinyin, right click the keyboard icon, and choose it. (If
ctrl-space is then alternating between pinyin and mozc, choose UK
keyboard to escape pinyin.)