Re: [tlug] EE question (was: VPN?)

Kalin wrote:
> If you have a DMM, any ohmmeter or connectivity checker, try to see
> which side is connected to the metal part of the PC (e.g. MB bolt). If
> neither or both are... you are out of luck, try your chance.
> Otherwise, I can bet 1000:1 that the connected one is "-".

This is beyond my skilz, and anyway beyond my current toolset, and I
won't run out and buy a meter just for this. The thing only cost eight
(yes, USD8) bucks... and because there was no PSU, the shop said they
would give me a refund on it within one week if it doesn't work, so....
unethical as it _might_ be, it makes more sense to take my chances, and
then return it if I end up frying it :=) It's a thrift shop, so it's
something they got as a donation to start with, so nobody really loses
(chances are any other buyer would have fried it with a mismatched PSU,
the same as me, right? :=)

*** BIG REVEAL ***
Ok, since I had basically run out of practical options, I just plugged
it in and gave it a whirl, and... no smoke, Windows booted right up, and
yay, I've got a new toy :=) Thankfully it has a BIOS with combined
legacy/UEFI boot options that lets you set how you want to boot, rather
than forcing UEFI, which I still don't know how to deal with from a
Linux perpective.

I ran it with the case lid off for a little while (nothing special
exercising the CPU), and noticed that the CPU and disk got warmer than I
would think. The PSU got a little warm, nothing unusual I think.  But I
did notice that while I was in the BIOS screens, the CPU got super hot -
much hotter than when just running Windows. I wonder if that's normal.
Not that I'm concerned about it :=)

The BIOS also gives the ability to disable Intel(tm) Manageability. I
suppose this means the notorious Management Engine. Really, you're
letting me turn it off completely? And do I trust that it's really
turned off, or are you just making me feel good while you continue to
spy on me? ;=)

Curt wrote:
> It would help if you could tell us what is is. Better yet, find the
> spec sheet on line and give us a link to it.

It's a ThinkCentre m92p 2121-D6U (a little 'ways down the sheet):

  http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/M92&M92p.pdf

> One of the best ways to make sure it's not fully loaded is to use an
> SSD instead of an HDD, which one would normally want to do for
> performance reasons anyway.

Definitely something I will do down the pike when I have time and a
little extra money to put into it. I'm thinking it might make a very
nice little firewall or something.

Dave