Re: [tlug] Upgrades & Akihabara shopping time

On 2018-06-01 20:38 +0900 (Fri), kts wrote:

> I am looking to transition my home NAS and Debian servers... ...a
> mini-itx build with a 35w G5400T (for the NAS) and a 35w i3-8100T
> may fill the bill.

The NAS will obviously have to be in a large case to hold the drives.
You don't say what you're using your Debian servers for, but if they
have to be separate hardware (rather than, say, several VMs on a large
box) You could consider small form factor PCs.[1] I use a Livia Z
N4200[2] as my desktop machine at work and while it's not super-fast
it's perfectly reasonable for day-to-day Python development and the
like. The PSU is rated 19V 3.42A but I very much doubt it's going to
draw anywhere near the 65 W that provides unless you start trying to
suck power via hungery USB 3 devices. As a server you may not care
that it can run two 4K displays, but you would probably appreciate
having two Ethernet ports as well as WiFi.

[1]: https://github.com/0cjs/sedoc/blob/master/hw/sff.md
[2]: http://www.links.co.jp/item/liva-z-n4200/

> Anyone up on current prices/shops?

Just go to http://kakaku.com/ and put in what you're looking for
there; it will tell you which shops are the cheapest. That said, for
most computer parts these days I've found that amazon.co.jp is so near
the cheapest and so much more convenient than going though yet another
sign-up with yet another store site that I just buy everything from
there now. And, of course, if you don't mind the wait for stuff to
arrive http://aliexpress.com is probably the cheapest place to go for
generic components and certainly is for cables.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.