Re: [tlug] Recommendation on watching European/American/Independent movies/TV programs in Japan?

Hi Curt,

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2017-10-07 00:51 +0800 (Sat), Raymond Wan wrote:
>
>> NetFlix, Hulu, whatever are convenient but one downside is that
>> movies and tv shows are usually available for just one of them due
>> to licensing agreements.
>
> Not quite as often as you think, in my experience; there's a
> surprising amount of duplication between Netflix and Hulu (though Hulu
> tends more often than Netflix to be the one that has it a few months
> earlier). (This was not the case when Netflix first came out here,
> though.)

Unfortunately, Hulu isn't available here in Hong Kong...unless I use a
VPN.  I'm so glad Netflix came to Hong Kong -- one TV broadcaster has
a virtual monopoly by owning most of the TV stations.  So we have very
little choice.  I think due to piracy (or a general dislike of DVDs
here?!?), rental shops are almost all gone.  They still sell DVDs and
BluRay, though.

>> When I visit Japan, I find it strange that the same movies
>> has no English subtitles at all.  Clearly someone has done
>> the work of translating...and the subtitles take up very
>> little space...why not include them?
>
> I can think of two reasons off-hand:
>
> 1. Including them isn't free. The company has to get hold of them, put
> them on their particular image and do the whole release and QC process
> for them. Nor is this risk free: they can get complaints from paying
> customers and demands for refunds if they mess up the subtitles.
>
> 2. They might have to pay another publisher/distributor, or another
> subsidiary of a global publisher/distributor, for the subtitles. (See
> the Charles Stross blog link above.)

Yes -- this makes sense.   I don't think it will change any time soon.
I suppose I should be glad that Japanese movies (and TV dramas) are
being licensed to overseas distributors (i.e., Hong Kong at least).  I
guess when they decided to make the movie, they calculated the amount
of domestic revenue and any overseas revenue is "bonus" which they
really don't need.

In contrast, I think Hollywood movies have over-inflated budgets which
do rely on overseas ticket sales...

>> PS:  Darren, loved the Oatmeal comic!  I, too, have been
>> hoping that Game of Thrones would appear on Netflix.......
>
> The first six seasons are available on happyon.jp (once known as
> hulu.jp), for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info!  Maybe when I'm "through" with Netflix, Hulu will
be available in HK.  Or...VPN...  :-)

Ray