Re: [tlug] silicon cash eater

On 2017-06-26 21:46 +0900 (Mon), kts wrote:

> According to your calculations, call it my ¥4,000/month silicon cash
> eaters.

Except I was just using numbers pulled out of my you-know-where. For
all I know, it's pulling 50 watts when idle, in which case turning it
off for 80% of the month saves you less than ¥900.

This stuff isn't always intuitive. Reading through the reviews on
amazon.co.jp of items related to power saving power-saving I came
across one review from a guy indicating that leaving his aircon on all
the time when we was at home at 28 degrees was cheaper than running
his aircon at 25 degrees only when he felt hot. (True or not, I don't
know.)

You need to measure. And, as I pointed out, if the goal is to save
money and the server really is an issue, a cheap used laptop will save
on both capital costs and running costs compared to almost any desktop
configuration; laptops designers spend a lot more effort on reducing
power consumption at idle than desktop component designers do because
they get so much more payback from it. (Saving a few watts when
drawing from a wall isn't obvious to consumers; running for longer on
a battery is very obvious to consumers.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.