Re: [tlug] Um, so... systemd?

On 2017-01-17 17:00 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I think my biggest
> issues with Debian going to systemd has been that a lot of the ancient
> software I still run has never been converted so I end up starting
> shit manually on reboot (fortunately that only happens with the
> University turns off all power two or three times a year).

Actually there is are compatibility units somewhere for getting
systemd to start/stop/etc. init.d stuff. I dunno if that's really more
useful than just learning enough systemd to write the units oneself,
though, since it's pretty easy to do. [1] and [2] may help with this.

[1]: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47695/how-to-write-startup-script-for-systemd
[2]: http://patrakov.blogspot.jp/2011/01/writing-systemd-service-files.html

> The binary logging thing makes me nervous because IME Mac OS X's
> logging is where it sucks hardest.

Yeah, binary logging generally makes me nervous, too, but journald has
been pretty good at working well for me. It helps that systemd is
widely used enough now that any breakage in that area would get
quickly noticed and fixed.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974