[tlug] Ubuntu 16.04-LTS SSH authentication problems

I've tried upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 on a few machines, with both Kubuntu and Gnome (in all cases running on VMware), and when I try to SSH to my servers, not only do I get a password prompt, but the password is not accepted. I duly reset the $HOME/.ssh/ permissions, to no avail.

I haven't yet tried to generate a new keypair, thinking that I would first see if any TLUGers have encountered this problem, or might have a guess as to what the problem could be. I saved copies of my Ubuntu 15 installation, so I've rolled back on my all of my other installations except for one, where I'd like to see if I can resolve this.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan