Re: [tlug] using a TV as 4k display

Hoi Giorgio,

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 06:30:14PM +0900, Dotpix wrote:
> It would help if you also explain what's the final purpose... just
> simple usage as desktop or streaming movies?

I was thinking of desktop, since the TV can stream video directly
by itself.

> AFAIK DP 1.1a should reach 2560x1400 as resolution but of course is not
> suitable too for your needs the same.
> Are you sure TVs are so much cheaper than screens? I found many 4k
> screens starting from 30000¥ with really nice colors from ASUS and DELL.
> Also if you get a screen with OLED technology i doubt you can find so
> much cheaper TV having it (so consider image quality too).
> If 2560x1400 is enought for you there are plenty of 20000¥ and 30000¥
> used 30inches screen in Akihabara in good conditions and they should
> work with you laptop DP (you can try there too).

Sorry for getting a bit offtopic, my price comparison is Europe based.
4k monitors start at 330€/44万円 for a 28", for 40" one pays ~680€/92万円.
For 400€/54万円 already a 42" TV is available.

I got a Samsung UE40HU6900 for 600€.

> Streaming a 4k signal over a wifi sounds a bunch of data. I doubt your
> laptop wireless card can even make it (and for movies i also doubt CPU
> can make it in H265).

Streaming could also mean to stay on the cable, laptop and TV have
rj45.  Indeed, h265 could not be done.  Yet, many older codecs exist.

> Hope some of the infos and opinions where useful to you :)

Thanks for sharing thoughts.
I am basically wondering if others have hit similiar issues and
if I have overseen obvious solutions.

cheers,
Chris