Re: [tlug] using a TV as 4k display

Hello Chris,

It would help if you also explain what's the final purpose... just simple usage as desktop or streaming movies? AFAIK DP 1.1a should reach 2560x1400 as resolution but of course is not suitable too for your needs the same. Are you sure TVs are so much cheaper than screens? I found many 4k screens starting from 30000¥ with really nice colors from ASUS and DELL. Also if you get a screen with OLED technology i doubt you can find so much cheaper TV having it (so consider image quality too). If 2560x1400 is enought for you there are plenty of 20000¥ and 30000¥ used 30inches screen in Akihabara in good conditions and they should work with you laptop DP (you can try there too). Streaming a 4k signal over a wifi sounds a bunch of data. I doubt your laptop wireless card can even make it (and for movies i also doubt CPU can make it in H265). I'm curious ... if you want to share the info .... which model of TV did you buy and what price and where?

Hope some of the infos and opinions where useful to you :)

Giorgio

Hi tlug,

4k monitors are much more expensive than 4k TV, maybe because
the market is bigger.  So I got a 4k Samsung TV.

I use a thinkpad x230, it only provides displayport 1.1a,
so only 1920x1080.

Miracast is the wireless protocol to transfer HDMI over wlan,
yet on Linux it's far from usable: has only been reported to
work on Linux on one certain wlan chip.  No activity in the
related projects either.

The TV is able to display 4k video files offered via DLNA,
a kind of multimedia oriented file streaming protocol.

Idea: it might be possible to have Linux show a 4k screen,
encode that like a video (one of the transport stream formats,
so the displaying code does not seek to the end of the file)
and then offer this via DLNA to the TV.

Anybody directly seeing why this might be a bad idea,
or having experience with other solutions?

cheers,
Chris