Re: [tlug] using a TV as 4k display

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:01:22AM +0200, Francois Cartegnie wrote:
> Le 02/09/2015 10:35, Christian Horn a écrit :
> >
> > Idea: it might be possible to have Linux show a 4k screen,
> > encode that like a video (one of the transport stream formats,
> > so the displaying code does not seek to the end of the file)
> > and then offer this via DLNA to the TV.
>
> Realtime non hw accelerated 4K encoding on cpu ? Good luck :)
> Use mpeg ts or ps as container.

TV can play also older codecs, I think.. making realtime ren-
dering easier but increasing the required bandwidth.

An issue with such an implementation was coming to mind now.
If the TV is dealing with this like a file and trying to buffer
i.e. 5 seconds then this is an issue.

DLNA might also provide "streaming" kind of profiles, need to
read more.

Chris