Re: [tlug] Best IME for an "i18n power user" on linux?

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 12:41:24PM -1000, David J Iannucci wrote:
> So, for no good reason, I tried installing mozc yesterday, with ibus,
> and the install went smoothly and now I'm trying it out. Looks nice! I
> like the instantaneous, on-line candidate display.
>
> But there seems to be one big thing missing: the user dictionary. I've
> googled around and find reference to supplementary dictionaries
> available, but I can't find any way to create my own dictionary. I've
> got about 20 entries in a kasumi dictionary that I use with Anthy and
> find it, well... I guess indispensible.
>
> [...]
>
> To be fair, I can see by googling that there are side tools that mozc
> uses for various control purposes, one of which is mozc_tool, but the
> Gentoo ebuild does not give me this tool, for some unknown reason (and
> no, there's no USE flag for it). Maybe that tool is the answer to my
> complaint :=)

mozc does support user dictionaries; and yes, the interface is mozc_tool.

  /usr/lib/mozc/mozc_tool --mode=word_register_dialog
  /usr/lib/mozc/mozc_tool --mode=dictionary_tool

in order to access the dictionary tools. There are other interesting modes, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mozc#Launching_Mozc_tools_from_command_line
for a list.

My user dictionary file is classified as "data" by find(1), so I guess it's a
custom database format and shouldn't be edited manually.

I don't know anything about Gentoo, but as you see the binary is usually not in
$PATH (at least not on Arch and Debian). Are there chances it's still part of
your Gentoo package but resides in this or a similar location? Actually, it's
the 'core' configuration tool and shouldn't be missing.

Best regards,
Jens.