Re: [tlug] Evolution does write Japanese - kubuntu

Hi,

On 2015年02月09日 12:48, rost52 wrote:
> Needing to write my first email in Japanese, I recognized that this does not work
>
> - kubuntu machine
> - IBUs+Anthy works fine for switching between Japanes and English without any problem in all
> applications I tested so far.
>
> Looking for settings in Evolution I did not find / did not see a possibility to enable Japanese
> writing.
>
> In an older machine I am running Linux Mint Debian and Evolution works there fine.
>
> I appreciate any hints on how to solve this. Thanks in advance.

The first thing I would try is running the program in an environment that
contains extra environment variables, such as with the following script:

#!/bin/bash
export LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=ja_JP.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
evolution

Be sure to run the script from the command-line so that you can see any
errors/warnings that may be printed.

Note that if that works, then you can try commenting out some of the
export lines to see which one(s) are required for that specific program.
You likely do not need the locale settings.  If you want to make the input
method settings permanent, then you can put them into your ~/.xprofile

If that does not work, you may want to check out ArchWiki, which often has
information that is useful even for those running another distro:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus#GTK.2B_applications

Travis