Re: [tlug] Representing a Space in a Path

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:33:47PM +0900, CL wrote:
> There is probably a simple answer to this, but I am not finding it in my
> Unix User's Guide:
>
> How do you represent a space in a pathname?
>
> Explanation:
>
> When I installed VirtualBox, it created a directory in /home/<username>
> called "VirtualBox VMs" and located the *.vdi files and the guest setup
> file directories beneath it.  The *.vdi files and guest directories also
> have spaces in their names.  When I attempt:
>
> > # cd /home/<username>/VirtualBox VMs/
Escape it with a backslash. My CentOS-6.6 (and FreeBSD.10-1 will do this if
I use tab completion.  I go ls Virtua (and hit tab) and get

ls VirtualBox\ VMs/

See if the backslash works.  Otherwise, try quoting it.  All untested by me

But usually with a VBoxManage command, you don't even need the path just
the filename, Again, untested but I believe you can do

VBoxManage modifyhd WIN7x664.vdi (and maybe not even use the .vdi part)

(Or just cd into the directory and run the command there.  :)  )

> > #:~$ VBoxManage modifyhd --resize 185040 /home/<username>/VirtualBox
> > VMs/WIN7x64.vdi
> > Oracle VM VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 4.3.20
> > (C) 2005-2014 Oracle Corporation
> > All rights reserved.
> >
> > Usage:
> >
> > VBoxManage modifyhd         <uuid|filename>
> >                             [--type
> > normal|writethrough|immutable|shareable|
> >                                     readonly|multiattach]
> >                             [--autoreset on|off]
> >                             [--property <name=[value]>]
> >                             [--compact]
> >                             [--resize <megabytes>|--resizebyte <bytes>]
> >

> > Syntax error: Invalid parameter 'VMs/WIN7x64.vdi'
> Which means that modifyhd is attacking the address from the other side
> of the space and also is not understanding my instruction.
>
> What to I type in in place of the space(s) to complete the address so
> that it is understood?

To answer that part of the question, a path is escaped with a backslash.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6