Re: [tlug] Trackball [Re: Happy hacking keyboard]

On 2014-08-09 at 14:11:12 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Daniel A. Ramaley writes:
>  > Years ago (1990s) i had a Kensington Expert Mouse.
>
> Of course this is so long ago ... that brand information
> is no longer useful.

Your experiences sound slightly similar to mine, with the Kensington
failing after a relatively brief time. I keep meaning to give them
another go; they are still expensive, but my income has improved a bit
since i was a student and bought my last one so the price tag is not as
painful now, and the technology in the product has been replaced some
number of times since i last tried it. I see on Kensington's web site
that the modern versions use optics to read the position of the ball; my
circa 1990s model used polished metal wheels. And just like with old
mice that used rubber balls rubbing on wheels, it had to be cleaned
fairly regularly for good performance. Hopefully the modern optical
versions would be closer to maintenance-free. I've found with optical
mice that they need to be dissected and cleaned out only about once
every 10 years--at least that's how long it took for the scroll wheel in
one of mine to start behaving erratically, which a thorough cleaning
fixed.

I did enjoy the size of the Expert Mouse. You are certainly right though
that the size would be a disadvantage when traveling. My usage scenario
was exclusively on the desktop, so it wasn't an issue for me. I even
replaced the stock ball with a billiards ball for awhile; the extra mass
made it feel more solid.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley  |  Network Engineer 2
Drake Technology Services (DTS) | Drake University

T: +1 515 271-4540
F: +1 515 271-1938
E: daniel.ramaley@example.com