Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On 2014-06-20 at 14:33:26 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     The Btrfs code base is under heavy development. ... it's
>     recommended to run the most modern kernel possible.
>
> Any software that recommends you keep your kernel updated to "most
> modern possible" is beta software.

Agreed. Every few months i check on the status of Btrfs. I am looking
forward to the day that it is production-ready. Maybe in another year or
two it will be close enough that i put it on my desktop systems or on a
personal server. But i certainly won't be putting it on any servers that
i maintain at work until it starts being enabled by default in several
commercial Linux distributions.

I tend to be fairly conservative about core things like filesystems
though. I'd expect someone who likes tinkering with their system as a
hobby more than i do might already be running it though. If i were the
person now that i was 10-15 years ago, i'd probably be running btrfs
already. At that time i was newer to Linux and much more willing to
sacrifice stability of my system in order to experiment and learn. These
days the thought of using a beta filesystem makes me nervous.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com