Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On 2014年06月19日 00:42, Brian Chandler wrote:
> I sort of expect this to start some gui installation-looking thing,
> though the file name doesn't include 'install'. It might need sudo ?,
> except that all the possibilities I can imagine would end with an error
> message.

FYI: When I tried it, it did indeed start a graphical installation
program.  It worked fine for me without sudo.  (You likely need sudo to
install to a directory that you do not have write permissions to [1], but
the lack of sudo is likely not related to this issue.)

Cheers,

Travis

[1] Running arbitrary executables with privileged access is bad practice,
IMHO.  With a program like this, I would get around it by creating the
installation directory and giving it appropriate permissions *before*
running the installer (without sudo); for example:

$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/opt/memsource-4.151
$ sudo chown brian:brian /usr/local/opt/memsource-4.151
$ ./MemsourceEditor-4.151-ubuntu-12.04.run