Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Brian Chandler writes:
>
>  > How do I escape this madness?
>
> Step 1.  Buy beer for 10.
> Step 2.  Install Debian "Bare Metal" or RH "Scorched Earth"
>          distribution.  This consists of something like a recent
>          kernel, an appropriate initramfs, a tree full of kernel
>          modules, and staticly-linked executables of bash (or zsh) and
>          dpkg (or rpm).
> Step 3.  Find willing wizard, or at least some old-timer who isn't
>          afraid of dpkg/rpm-level package management.
> Step 4.  Buy pizza for 2, and enough wet-wipes to keep fingers clean
>          nevertheless.
> Step 5.  Feed wizard pizza and beer, and bitch bitterly about the
>          stuff he's installing.  Make him get it right for you.
> Step 6.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 four more times.  (Aren't you glad you
>          bought beer for 10 like I told you?)
> Step 7.  Tell the tale at next TLUG meeting.

I don't think it is that hard, iff you are willing to learn. And have
extra CPU(s) to spare and time to fiddle to perfection.

I've been using more or less the same Gentoo setup with WindowMaker
for the last 10 years. Yes it did break a few times, but considering
the amount of other things that moved (X, kernel, initd, udev...),
that is a good record.
Once you have it set up, you'll never have to tag your posts with any
version - Gentoo has one version - latest (actually some people try to
define stable and arch=unstable). And you'll probably never "install"
linux again - just rsync your current one (or start from chroot).
For a pizza and 2 beers, I should be able to rsync an image to your
machine, set up proper kernel (or use stock) and show you around
Gentoo.

> I'm not entirely serious, but if you can find somebody who's familiar
> with the structure of Linux reality to help you do this stuff, you'll
> be a lot happier with the results and (perhaps surprisingly) I bet
> you'll learn more useful things than you would hacking on your own.
>
> Hey, TLUG!  We really ought to get back in the habit of installfests.
> Now that we always have good net connections, it's even possible to do
> most of the necessary work on a tower box in somebody's home from the (assuming
> they know how to set up sshd reasonably securely).

Install parties are not fun usually (well may be more fun than my last
presentation)...
But a crash course on xyz linux may be good:
1. How you install/start
2. How you upgrade/add/remove packages
3. Third party packages/source
4. Configure network/services/desktop/sound/video
5. deal with Japanese

Cheers,
Kalin.