Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On 06/18/2014 08:05 PM, Brian Chandler wrote:
First aside: If after reading a bit, you want to scream - "You are doing
it wrong, you should be using Debian", or similar, please do. My biggest
disappointment in adopting Linux was to find that the notorious hundreds
of text files for configuration are hidden away never to be found.
"You're doing it wrong.  You should be using Debian."

There.  Now, I feel better.

I am using the KDE version of Debian. It has a learning curve. A fairly steep one. With many pauses to allow for you being patted on the head and praised.

I now have a machine that is running quite well. On just the seventh install in five days, but everything I messed up is now fixed and I have lost no work files nor work product. Google, Duck Duck Go, or Bing must be your constant friend during setup and you will soon learn to preface every search with the term "Debian Wheezy: How do I _____". And then secrets begin to reveal themselves. And, not always from the first website among the choices offered.

If you do install Debian, I'd recommend that you _do_ not_install_ the latest version (7.5.0), especially if your printer is HP. v.7.4.0 seems to be the most universally compatible version until everything is installed and tested once. Then you can upgrade. Manually installing from source eliminates tons of the problems that Apper seems to thrive on. Allowing your installation to upgrade itself after everything is cleanly installed _usually_ eventuates in your having an up-to-date machine.

YMMV, of course.  No doubt that it will.

--
CL