Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals
- Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 02:41:00 +0900
- From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals
- References: <53292BF2.firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAAhy3dsA3yJ+dhP8y5AnkDm0Rhepfe6TyxXwENkiWtrqtqAgYQ@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <CAAhy3ds-Tfno8KrsexFnB3CracrTYUpM962HD4jETsVaVAKxhA@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAAhy3dv+rG14dht0naZCdnoR=ADGgEStOCxd8awa+AmtCwBemail@example.com>
Raymond Wan writes: > On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull > <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > > AIUI, much of bioinformatics is about *historical* DNA, which is > > "complex" rather than "chaotic". > > I can't comment about what you said before about economics, but what > you said above about bioinformatics is fairly accurate. Thanks for the confirmation! > I jumped into the life sciences a bit late but I always envisioned > research to be about being interested in some phenotype, coming up > with some experiment to verify it, and if you're right, write it up. That sounds like a good thing to research to me! > It's hard to say how much better bioinformatics is compared to what > you describe about economics... Oh, I agree about the current state, and in practice the differences among "true randomness", chaos, and complexity may be useless. But in the end, at least you can culture a cell, inject the computed DNA, and see if the proteins come out. We economists just do gendanken experiments and (since we've got nothing better to offer) call that "proof"!
- Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals
- From: Raymond Wan
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] IMEs in Mint?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] IMEs in Mint?
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links