Re: [tlug] Problems with au ADSL/network setup

Scott Robbins writes:

 > As GNU stands for Gnu isn't Unix, this isn't surprising.  Many Fedora
 > developers have been quoted, in one way or another, as saying, We don't
 > care about the Unix way.

And one look at Ubuntu is enough to convince you that Canonical don't
care, either.

 > One made the front page of slashdot, and Fedora had to back down
 > from what they considered a feature, that of allowing any user to
 > install or upgrade packages.

But that follows generally from Stallman's attitude toward security on
systems you use -- users should be able to do anything.

It's as stupid on Fedora systems as it was on MIT's DEC-20s.  Maybe
*much* more idiotic today than it was then.  With Linux PC prices
running neck and neck with the price of a nice dinner for two
(although headed in opposite directions ;-), anybody[1] can have root.

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, anybody employed to bang on keyboards for a company big
enough to care about who has root on personal workstations can afford
to have root.