Re: [tlug] Problems with au ADSL/network setup

Heh - I used to work for a supercomputer manufacturer (FPS Computing).  We were a fairly small shop (about 50 people in engineering HW & SW) and in the evening the calls to the main number would go on "night bell" and ring throughout the building and you could dial a code to pick up and answer.  One evening, like a fool, I picked up and it was this professor from UCLA who had purchased one of our machines with her research grant and the networking had suddenly stopped working - or, rather it was half working because some hosts worked and some did not.  She was very upset that her half-million dollar machine was not working and wanted it fixed RIGHT NOW.  We were outside of support hours but I was the networking guy, so I dialed in and started poking around.  About an hour later, I called her back and the call went something like this:

Me: "Did someone change the hosts file today?" (this was actually so long ago that DNS was not commonly used and everyone on the Internet had a big huge hosts file)
Her: "Yes, but they didn't make any real changes, they just fixed the formatting."
Me: "Well, you see, there's some weirdness in the way that Unix interprets numbers and when you put leading zeroes into addresses (e.g. 010.010.100.101) it interprets those parts with leading zeros as octal and the numbers aren't what you think they are."
Her: "Oh"

And what did I learn from this?  Don't answer the phone after hours.