Re: [tlug] Problems with au ADSL/network setup

So I finally had time to go over and see my friend last week to take
another shot at fixing his modem + router problems and, well, this is
somewhat embarrassing ... about 10 seconds after sitting down to fix
the router I noticed a little switch on its backside which said "Router
Mode: On, Off, Auto" that was set to Auto. Apparently the Buffalo acts
as a bridge when it detects another router on the network, and since my
friend's DSL modem is technically a modem + a really crappy router
that's what happened. Setting the switch to "On" made the router
actually act like one, so DHCP and the admin interface both work fine
now. I guess that's what you get when you work on stuff like that after
a long day in the office ...

Big thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help!

--
Stefan A. <stefan.a@example.com>