Re: [tlug] Problems with au ADSL/network setup

Or you haven't been confronted with an anal-retentive AIX systems administrator in recent times since AIX apparently continues to do it (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.files%2Fdoc%2Faixfiles%2Fhosts.htm).  Looks like Linux has stopped interpreting the hosts file as anything other than decimal but this behavior still occurs in Ubuntu 12:

> ping 010.010.010.010

Furthermore, inet_aton documents octal addresses, so maybe it's the hosts file that's broken now :-).  Maybe I should file a bug?