Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based
- Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 09:35:45 +0900
- From: CL <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based
- References: <20131025030341.GA20719@scott1.scottro.net> <20131025040644.GA22590@scott1.scottro.net> <20131025045043.GA24240@scott1.scottro.net>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.0
On 10/25/2013 01:50 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
I did an upgrade from Kubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 and still have the same problem with ibus-anthy not working in LibreOffice. But, there is the added joy of having to use shift-space or nothing. I am locked out of the ibus setup page and can only switch between J and E by clicking on the ibus icon and choosing a language. The ibus popup looks a whole lot more like MS-IME than ever before, with additional setup choices offered there than in setup. I also have to start ibus manually on startup despite a startup script having been entered and checked.On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:06:44AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:03:41PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:Have people on this list installed a fresh 13.10 Ubuntu or variant, and found that ibus works as well as it has in the past? I just tried on Lubuntu 13.10 64 bit to find that it has become pretty useless.
Changing to ibus-mosc improved nothing.
And had the same results with Xubuntu. Ibus-mozc worked without any problems. This gives hope that they'll fix Lubuntu and Kubuntu, though I don't use either enough to get involved in filing a bug about it.
The Xubuntu install on my TV-connected torrenting PC was upgraded from 12.04 to 13.10 in steps and ibus continues to work as advertised. Can't say the same for Vuze ...
I have been using Debian 7.02 with KDE desktop in a VBox for a couple of weeks and it is rock solid. I think I have found an OS that doesn't require me to learn a whole new command set and lets me keep the look and feel of KDE I am used to.
Ibus-anthy works in all applications, including LibreOffice. Ibus starts automatically on startup and I am able to set my own switching choices. Ibus in Debian doesn't have the "little 'v'" problem that Kubuntu has in selecting languages.
Niggles to date are:
- The difficulty in getting my user into the "sudoers" file. I still haven't edited that file correctly -- I just use the "su" command and drop to root until I exit Terminal.
- Not being able to figure out how to install packages in /opt. It tells me I can't and offers /etc and /tmp as alternatives; /opt is empty and appears to be locked.
- The hoops I had to jump through to install Skype, and removing Icedove / Iceweasel and replacing them with up-to-date "real" versions of Thunderbird / Firefox.
The Iceweasel version was SO OLD that a lot of my security and privacy presets didn't work. I could not access several sites I regularly use for business. One example: the Abine "Do Not Track Me" security suite doesn't run on v17 at all and there are several sites that now make having it a requirement for login. They're afraid that unsecured browsers will bring people who want to inject nasties along with them and I can't get on without it.
I'm also getting good at setting up my own software sources because Debian does none of that automatically.
- Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based
- From: Bruno Raoult
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Ibus and Ubuntu based
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links