[tlug] NAS and DHCP?

I've been setting up the Buffalo LinkStation, which is going smoothly
(and all using Linux: I'll post my notes to my blog later).

It is getting an IP address from the router, using DHCP. It seems this
is a Potential Problem, and I should assign it a static IP address (same
subnet, but outside the DHCP address range). Is there any good reason
not to do that?

(The router is a Buffalo AirStation, and it also acts as the DNS server
for my network. So I'm thinking maybe there is a clever option to assign
a DNS name based on the mac address, and all clients would use the name
not the IP address. Where I got stuck was working out how, even if it
was possible, that would be better than a static IP address...)

Darren