Re: [tlug] Japanese Input - Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 04:51:23PM +0900, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> Re: "ibus setup is trivial" - It looks like it *should* be trivial,
> but it stalls and dies when attempting to open it via the menu, and
> what comes up via a terminal window "ibus-setup" is blank under input
> method.

I think there is a trend.
In the past people knew more on "what goes on in the background",
nowadays these things get increasingly complicated.  They are
setup automatically if one rides mainstream (i.e. install a
Fedora with Japanese support and gnome3), but running exotic
configs gets more difficult.

On Fedora here had to do extra steps to get the good old
~/.xsession evaluated again, I setup ibus there and then run
Windowmaker.

>From my point of view, these points might be interesting for
you to debug:

- is 'ibus-daemon' running?  If not start it in a terminal using
  'ibus-daemon --xim --daemonize'.
  I execute this in .xsession and afterwards start the windowmanager.

- Can you ensure that variables
  IMSETTINGS_INTEGRATE_DESKTOP IMSETTINGS_MODULE QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
  XMODIFIERS GTK_IM_MODULE are set in your terminal?

- Can you then execute 'ibus-setup' without issues from the
  terminal?

- Can you then switch the input method using the key combination
  specified in ibus-setup, i.e. <ctrl>+<space> ?

cheers,
Christian