Re: [tlug] [Was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?] Changing subject in thread.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Benjamin Tayehanpour
<benjamin@example.com> wrote:
> no bearing on what people prefer. It makes no sense: If a person who
> prefers plain text (with a client thus instructed) is presented with
> plain text, and a person who prefers enriched text (again, with a
> client thus instructed) receives enriched text, surely that leaves
> just one type of user unhappy, namely the one who couldn't be bothered
> to bend his or her client to his or her will?

There have been excellent arguments already and I'm playing catch-up
with today's e-mail...

Sorry to jump in, but your analogy caught my attention a bit.  We
presume you're posting a message on this mailing list because you want
others to read what you want to say.  In that case, it sort of makes
sense that you should write it in a way which maximizes the number of
readers.  (There is the chance that someone posts messages here so
that they can see their own messages...let's ignore such people...)

Given this, you'd probably want to write it according to what others
on the list want...  If you write it however you want without thinking
about the reader, then don't be surprised if no one replies or, worse,
they focus on how you formatted your message instead of the content.

Scott uses shoes in a Japanese house as an example.  Here's another.
How about if you were a first-time tourist to Japan and were lost.
You needed to ask a convenience store for directions.  Would you speak
in something other than Japanese or would you give it a go with your
Berlitz Japanese phrase book and try to hash out a sentence?  The
latter, probably, since it might improve the chance of a helpful
reply...

Ultimately, you're not there to prove to the shopkeeper that you can
speak in your native language ... you're there to get directions.

Ray