Re: [tlug] [Was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?] Changing subject in thread.

On 2013-08-15 at 15:41:28, Scott Robbins wrote:
>Seriously, while I don't pretend to speak for everyone (or anyone
>besides myself) on this list, I think it is safe to say the majority
>of people would prefer that you stick with plain text, whether it can
>be handled or not.

I will of course bend to the wishes of the group. However, for peace
of mind on my part, would you, just to indulge me, give me a rational
reason not to? "(...)whether it can be handled or not" suggests that
the fact that the MUA will present the text correctly regardless has
no bearing on what people prefer. It makes no sense: If a person who
prefers plain text (with a client thus instructed) is presented with
plain text, and a person who prefers enriched text (again, with a
client thus instructed) receives enriched text, surely that leaves
just one type of user unhappy, namely the one who couldn't be bothered
to bend his or her client to his or her will?

Different LUGs have different ways of seeing things and different ways
of handling things, but one thing almost universally shunned is
aversion to learning and/or adapting. Yet, also almost universally,
the concept of adapting to the possibility of rich-text content,
strangely, averts this. I don't understand this. I don't like not
understanding things. Please explain this anomaly.

Again, I *will* use plain-text mode, since that's what's asked of me.
I just don't like doing things without a known clear rationale behind
it; such behaviour is for priests and fools, as an old friend of mine
used to say.

So far, the only useful purpose I've seen with a plain-text-only
policy is that it invariably gives tenured members a tangible pretext
for grousing at those pesky newcomers with their wicked ways :)

On 15 August 2013 23:06, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
> For what little it is worth, i agree 100%. If something cannot be
> expressed in plain text, then it is my personal belief that the idea has
> not been thought through well enough to be expressed properly.

I fail to agree. Typography is just as important when conveying a
message. Imagine getting fired in Comic Sans. The only situation in
which that would be appropriate would be if you were a professional
clown, living in a Bizarro comic strip.