Re: [tlug] Proprietary derivatives of FLOSS and other absurdities [was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?]

On 14 August 2013 14:36, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> No room for altruism?

Altruism is a nice thought, but it carries with it the fundamental
flaw that it withers and dies if it's not in at least some way either
reciprocated or otherwise supported. The more liberal licences assumes
that there are enough people out there who aren't total shits and who
will reciprocate by contributing. Luckily, that assumption is mostly
proven to be sufficiently correct for the concept to live and prosper.

> Thomas Jefferson was an insane troll?

Founding and continuing are two different things. I can't answer you
more specifically, since I admittedly do not know much about Usonian
history. Justified, since I'm not Usonian myself.

> Now that is all around plausible, but ... it's funny.  RMS is the
> classic example of an inability to share or compromise.  True, he has
> done a lot of good ... but it's all about him.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I probably wouldn't want him running the
place. But I do want him on my side of the great ci-ça that is
politics, because he's heavy, and the bunch on the other side of the
pivot point has some heavy members too. Politics has always been about
spewing outrageously extreme nonsense to counter the outrageously
extreme nonsense of different polarity originating from the opposing
bench, and meeting somewhere in the middle, hopefully a little more
hither than thither.