Re: [tlug] Proprietary derivatives of FLOSS and other absurdities [was: Why Hollywood does break foreign films ?]

Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:

 > The more liberal licences assumes that there are enough people
 > out there who aren't total shits and who will reciprocate by
 > contributing.

You really think many people contribute for reciprocal reasons?  I
don't.  Corporations contribute because somebody else picks up the
burden of maintaining their derivatives or because it's a complementer
to their mission-critical stuff (and again somebody else does most of
the maintenance).  Human persons have a variety of ego-based reasons
(not to mention career advancement, based on the number of times I've
had Google recruiters contact me).  Sure, there are a few people out
there doing it for paybacks or payforwards, but not many.

And then there's always good old altruism, in the sense of enjoying
the fact that others benefit from one's work.

 > > Thomas Jefferson was an insane troll?
 >
 > Founding and continuing are two different things.

True, but the arguments that convince courts remain the same as the
ones Jefferson wrote, although typically prettied up with some math,
sometimes moderately fancy math.  (Convincing Congressmen is another
matter, but even there the old arguments are the good ones.)