Re: [tlug] Something Called Gaimen Kirikae...

houkouonchi@example.com writes:

 > I am curious why you can't drive with the international drivers permit.
 > I know my first long stay I did the international drivers permit thing
 > but I never ended up actually using it.

International driving permits are authorized by treaty.  I think
they're mostly between individual country-pairs.  Evidently Japan and
Brazil haven't made one.  This doesn't surprise me, there are a number
of reasons why I would expect quite a bit of official friction between
the two countries.

 > On 07/17/2013 04:47 PM, SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. wrote:

 > > I am not allowed to drive legally in Japan with my International
 > > Driving Permit because of different conventions (a.k.a
 > > bureaucracy). And I'm dying to do so.

Really, you're not missing much.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess,
but if you want to meet people, trains are cheaper and faster to get
to where the people are.  If you want to get away from people, that's
(a) difficult, and (b) you can do it with trains although the
automobile is economically competitive for many destinations.