Re: [tlug] [completely off topic] WTF 7 year olds dog cremation question

On 06/16/2013 12:16 AM, CL wrote:
On 06/15/2013 10:54 PM, Edward Middleton wrote:
Sorry for asking this here but I am not really sure where to start.  I
spent a large part of today cremating my wifes dead dog and the
experience was somewhat traumatic for my daughter.  Now we are past the
whole thing, my daughter has a questions only a 7 year old could have
and I don't even know where to start looking for an answer. Any pointers
appreciate.  Why is a cremated dogs brain black?  If it was carbon it
presumably would have burnt with the rest of the body.

Edward

Sounds as though you didn't have a crematorium that did it's body weight
and time calculations correctly.  There has recently been a spate of new
pet crematoriums springing up under fake temple auspices and a number of
them have been doing less than satisfactory work ... or so I have heard
when we needed to cremate three of our late departed moggies last month.

Without knowing any details of the dog's final days, I am familiar with
a type of aging in mammals in which parts of the brain calcify and
harden prior to death.  You'll have to ask the attending vet whether
that was the case in this pet's death.  We use one who doesn't pull any
punches in this regard and will give us straight talk on what is going
on, but I'm familiar with many more who like to obfuscate and
prevaricate when faced with explaining the hard facts.

The dog was about 20 years old so it could have been a few things that caused its death.

As for the cremated remains, there was a brittle tissue thin black structure in what remained of the dogs skill and given the state of the bones it didn't seem plusable[1] that it was unburnt combustible remains so I guess the question was what black inorganic substance would remain after the combustion of a dogs brain.

Edward

1. given my limited experience examining cremated dog remains I am happy to defer on this.