Re: [tlug] kickstarter for open source...

Am 13.06.13 16:23, schrieb Raymond Wan:
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Ulrike Schmidt<ulrike@example.com>  wrote:
Games and graphic novels need not neccessarily be proprietary. There are
two questions: what types of projects are people interested in? Is a
project open source or not?

Kids might spend more of their pocket money on games, companies more on
spam filters. All things being equal I think an open source project has
good chances to win.

Don't mean to jump in here...but I couldn't resist.
You are welcome to jump in

While FLOSS is great, if you were to compare games, graphic novels,
and FLOSS software, I think it is safe to say that most people would
care about FLOSS the least.
My point was that games and graphic novels can be FLOSS, they need not be proprietary. There is one dichotomy between a game/graphic novel and a spamfilter for mailman. And the other one between FLOSS and proprietary. What do you want to compare? What about FLOSS games vs. proprietary spam-filters? Which wins and why?

Why?  I'm fairly certain that there are more people in the world that
play games or read graphic novels than read source code since more
"skill" is required for the latter.  Just a guess...no scientific
numbers to back this up.
I think a lot of people in the world are using FLOSS software without ever reading the source code.
(Of course, the other aspect of FLOSS is "free" ... as in money ...
and that might attract them more.  But there are probably a lot of
people that will feel indifferent about software being open
source...they just wouldn't know what to do with it.)
Yes, I would agree with that.