[tlug] kickstarter for open source...

I just went to create my first Kickstarter project to encourage
accelerated development of an upgrade for an open source project (that I
use, not that I develop), and discovered I need to be a U.S. or U.K.
citizen. :-(

I may have a solution for that particular case, but it got me wondering
if there are alternative ways to finance this kind of thing, specially
designed for open source? E.g. maybe donations could count as charitable
donations for tax purposes if it is open source, which I don't think is
the case with Kickstarter donations?

I like the Kickstarter idea of setting a target, making it very visible;
compared to say a bunch of Paypal donations.

Darren