Re: [tlug] Is a power supplier under warranty?

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>>> What does "one year guarantee" mean then? :-)
>
>> Usually it's a "one year warranty"; but yes, you have a point...in
>> order to compete with the bigger fish, some manufacturers offer
>> guarantees instead...
>
> I thought they were synonyms (and my dictionary for 保証 lists both
> guarantee and warranty), but a quick google tells me (that in British
> English at least) a guarantee is what you get as part of your main
> purchase, a warranty is something you pay extra for:
> http://www.access-legal.co.uk/free-legal-guides/whats-the-difference-between-a-guarantee-and-a-warranty-1314.htm

Oh!  Thank you (and Stephen) for pointing the difference out!

Until now, I always associated a warranty as 'repair' of the goods and
guarantee as 'replacement' of the goods.  Outside of Japan, I've heard
of the term "extended warranty" and "extended guarantee"...both of
which I'd pay for.  Which is why I never associated extra money as
being a condition for one or the other.  And I've heard of "100%
satisfaction guarantee" in English but not (yet) warranty...the former
"sounds" better in an advertisement...for some strange reason.

But now that you mention it, I never really checked a dictionary.  It
was surely something that I was taught in (Canadian) high school in
some consumer education class and have carried that with me since.  At
that age, we don't question our teachers or what they taught us.  :-P

Thank you both for looking it up!  Funny that Japanese lists them both
as synonyms.  Perhaps there is some cultural implications from that...

Ray