Re: [tlug] But too much logs kills the logs: How to Grok Logs

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:29:38 +0200, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:

> I meant: You want the logs to be useful. For instance, I may have 10-20
> file changes every day.
> If the log shows 1,000 lines, I will never know about these 10 lines...

That's probably not a good use of your log files.
When things go bad, you should have enough data in your log
files to figure out what/how things went bad and to fix it.
So let your log files be big.

Use grep, sed, awk, and friends to show the 10 lines you want.
After you figure out the big command to use,
put it in a shell script file for easy use later.