Re: [tlug] Large memory server

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 02:39:01AM +0900, Taisuke Yamada wrote:
> > I'm looking for 128 or 256Gb of RAM. Number of cores, is a secondary consideration.
>
> Althrough you need to prepare memory modules separately, some servers
> available for a lease below do seem to support 128+GB RAM
> configuration.

hmm, rental looks like it might be a little pricey. I'm tempted to go the purchase route. But will keep looking around for a could provider, as I only need it for a dy or so. Thank you for the links.

> - http://www.yrl.com/it/itrental/server/IAserver.html
> - http://www.orixrentec.jp/cgi/it/detail.cgi?id=451855 (IBM, up to 288GB)
> - http://www.orixrentec.jp/cgi/it/detail.cgi?id=451914 (Fujitsu, up to 384GB)
> - http://www.orixrentec.jp/cgi/it/detail.cgi?id=452012 (HP, up to 2TB)
>
> But, you can surely buy one at Akihabara:
>
> - http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20120317/ni_cz9ped8ws.html
>
> Above one is from ASUS, but I'm sure there're many boards/servers from
> SuperMicro that support even larger configuration.
>
> I wish I could afford 2TB RAM servers...that's larger than total HDD
> capacity of my server...

hmm.. yes I think a supermicro board might be the way to go. The link you sent me led me to ark computers which looks like it might be a reasonable place to buy server components. Thanks again!