Re: [tlug] Desktop alternatives

On 2012-05-28 at 08:08:09, Josh Glover wrote:
>>[Plain X11 with no DE] kind of went out in 1991 or so, didn't it?
>In The Year of Our Linus 2012, I'm using Openbox with no DE.

For what (little) it is worth, i've been using AfterStep with no DE
since either 1996 or 1997. Every once in a rare while i try the latest
bloatfest from Gnome or KDE... and soon run away in frustration at how
hard it is to make it work the way i want it to work. I just don't see
any advantages to running a full desktop environment. A plain window
manager does everything i want it to and stays out of my way.

What am i missing? What does a desktop environment offer that a plain
window manager can't do? I don't care about the application integration;
i use some apps from each of the Gnome and KDE projects but mostly use
apps that aren't associated with any particular DE. Copy/paste of text
works between apps and that's all the integration i think i need. I
wouldn't change my applications just because i change the window manager
anyway.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com